Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Did Jesus go to hell when He died on the cross?


You learn something everyday...especially if you are studying theology. I am not studying theology but tonight when I was leading senior high small group this question was asked. Initially my mouth dropped and I immediately thought "heck no, duh". Thankfully Pastor Ryan was there to save the day! Even though I had never heard of this question before, because some theologians have really, really studied this, it really got me thinking. So much that after church tonite I read the entire Gospels, looking at the Crucifixion, the Death of Jesus, the Burial of Jesus, the Resurrection, and the Ascension in particular. Mathew 28:7 says that Christ has risen from the dead. From what I have read about Heaven and Hell is that Heaven is life, eternal life. Theologians have done research that shows that when Jesus died He obviously did not go to Heaven but rather went to Hell and battled Satan for 3 days and was then resurrected. He then later ascended to Heaven. Of course I do not have actual proof where I could reference this in the bible. I just thought I would share this very interesting thought with my family and friends. This is one reason I love working with youth. They have wonderful questions and while I do not know half the answers I have God's book to help me. The questions make me think so much that I can't sleep at night until I have already done at least some reading in the bible. Feel free to let me know your opinions and if you have any resources on this topic.

No comments: