Saturday, September 27, 2008

Photography 101: Understanding ISO AND the different Scene Modes

The past two weeks have been very busy which is why I have not been able to post the last two classes. The first class was on lighting, specifically ISO and White Balance. ISO allows me to adjust it according to how bright or dark it is around the subject. It does not relate to the flash at all. It is what enables people to take pictures in places like museums where flash is not permitted. The different settings of ISO changes how sensitive the camera is to the surrounding light. I took these pictures in my dark basement in the back corner where there is only one little window. The only thing that chages from picture to picture is the ISO settings are 200, 400,800,and 3200.





White Balance is a setting in your camera where you tell the camera which temperature of light your subject is in. The settings of light include incandescent(light bulb),fluorescent, or daylight are the most common.If you set the camera on the wrong setting then your whole picture will tint a certain color. For example if you set your camera on incandescent and take a picture in natural daylight it will be tinted blue. And then when your camera setting is matching the same as what is on your subject the color is really natural.



The last lesson was learning about the different scene modes and what the camera is doing in each setting. I learned how to take better pictures especially in the action mode. To do this I had to adjust the shutter speed so that the camera wouuld take the picture faster but as a result the images are not as clear as they usually are.(there are other things but I don't want to confuse more than I already have) For practice I took lots of pictures at my little brother-in-laws soccer game today.

No comments: