Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why nursing is such a rewarding job to have... or not

In my current location of work as a nurse I do frequent ear washes (lavage). This week was exceptionally "waxy" because the ear lavage experiences were different from you everyday ordinary ear lavage. The procedure includes a spray bottle with a 6 inch tube attached at the nozzle with a disposable attachment that you place right inside the ear. You fill the bottle with hydrogen peroxide (to help prevent ear infections) and warm water. As you spray water into the ear it creates a movement of water that goes into the ear canal and comes right back out. The water ends up in a container placed below the ear. It softens the ear wax and usually comes out in either medium size flakes (similar to fish food) or large balls of ear wax.


What the nurse hopes to see when she looks into the ear with an otoscope prior to the procedure is this...




This generally only takes a few minutes to wash out. The only protective equipment that is worn is the patient usually has a plastic cape draped over their shoulder (similar to what you wear when you get your hair cut) and maybe a towel or two to prevent getting wet. The nurse does not wear anything. Well, nurses really should start wearing shields over their faces because this week I got ear wax all over my face while cleaning a patients ear out. The patients entire ear was compacted even more so than the picture above. I go about my usual routine but as I start spraying the water into the ear, the water basically ricochets off of the ear wax (which immediately softened) and came shooting back at me and hit me in the face! Large wax chunks and all. It was like the ball exploded! It was the first time this had ever happened to me and hopefully the last!!!! It was disgusting!!!! Needless to say I was successful and her ear looked like new when I was done.

That shiny reflection is what you want to see! That is your ear drum!!!!

Isn't nursing so rewarding!



2 comments:

The Smiths said...

Um. . . yuck! As if I needed a reminder why I didn't go into nursing! :)
~l

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'm studying ears right now; in fact I'm doing a web assignment where we have practice documenting our findings of ears... Ears are cool; earwax is gross!!!